Decorating your baby’s nursery
One of the most exciting parts of welcoming a new baby into the family is preparing your home for the new arrival. Although most new babies don’t move into their own room until they are 6 months or older, preparing a nursery gives you a dedicated space for clothes, toys and all of the paraphernalia a new baby demands.
Home decorating trends for the nursery are constantly evolving, but there is definitely a move to more neutral colours and natural materials in 2023. This is even more appropriate if you are not going to find out the gender of your baby. But that’s not to say that bold and bright has had its day just yet!
Here are five of the top trends to keep in mind when decorating your baby's room:
- Soothing Colors: Soft, muted colours such as pale blues, greens, and greys are a popular choice for nurseries. These colours are calming and create a peaceful atmosphere for your baby to sleep and play in.
- Natural Materials: Using natural materials such as wood, wicker, and linen can add a warm and cosy feel to the nursery. They also provide a connection to nature and bring a sense of calm to the room.
- Bold Accents: While soft colours are popular for walls and furniture, bold accent pieces such as colourful curtains, rugs, and wall art can add a pop of personality to the room. Choose bright, cheerful colours that complement the room's colour scheme.
- Minimalist Design: The minimalist trend is also popular in nurseries, with simple, clean lines and a focus on functionality. This style is practical for parents who want a clutter-free space for their baby to play and sleep in.
- Personalisation: Adding personal touches to the nursery, such as family photos [add link to newborn gallery], handmade items, and monograms, can make the room feel special and unique. Personalisation can also help create a sense of connection and comfort for both baby and parents.
When decorating your nursery, it's important to keep in mind the safety and comfort of your baby. Choose furniture that is sturdy and safe, and avoid items with sharp edges or loose parts. Make sure there is enough space for your baby to play and move around, and consider the lighting in the room to ensure it's not too bright or too dim. Lamps or dimmer switches are a useful addition for keeping the room calm and allowing night feeds without waking baby up fully.
Adding portraits to your baby’s nursery is the perfect way to include artwork. Displaying your newborn portraits gives you a constant reminder of how tiny they once were every time you walk into the nursery. Family portraits in your nursery are also a beautiful way to cement your new baby’s place in the family.
You can find out more about my newborn portraits and family sessions here - try to book your newborn session in plenty of time before baby arrives so that I can guarantee you a session space.
EMBRACING THE JOURNEY: THE MAGIC OF MATERNITY PHOTOGRAPHY AND CELEBRATING MOTHERHOOD Being a portrait photographer gives me the privilege of capturing life’s most precious moments, and of all the milestones I get to document, maternity sessions hold a special place in...
POPULAR THEMES AND MUST-HAVE PHOTOS FOR BABY’S FIRST BIRTHDAY: MAKE IT UNFORGETTABLE! Ah, the first birthday! It’s a milestone that’s as exciting for parents as it is for your baby. As a portrait photographer, I’ve had the honour of capturing these precious moments...
ANTICIPATING YOUR SEPTEMBER STAR: BOOKING YOUR NEWBORN PORTRAIT SESSION As a professional portrait photographer, I’ve had the immense joy of capturing some of life’s most precious moments, and none are quite as magical as the arrival of a newborn. Did you know that...
I'm a Northampton photographer and photograph in Northampton, Milton Keynes, Buckingham, Oxford and surrounding areas. I come to you so you don't have to venture too far from home.
📸 Capturing the joy and love of families, one precious moment at a time.
🖼️ Start your family’s story today.